Ekadashi, as the name suggests, it is the 11th day of the lunar cycle. It occurs twice in the month, 11th day both from Amavasya and Poornima. If it is ekadashi of Amavasya, the moon will be 3/4th dark and simultaneously, if it is ekadashi of Poornima, the moon will be 3/4th visible.
If you would go through Hindu scriptures, you will know that Ekadashi and lunar movements are directly correlated with human mind. It is believed that the concentration power of human mind is at its peak on this day. Our mind becomes more efficient and it is the best time for meditation. It owes a favourable influence to our minds and lives. The spiritual seekers spend these two highly auspicious days of the month in extreme worship.
Devotees observe fast on this day. They spend whole night performing pooja and doing meditation. Some do not take even a drop of water during the fast while some take milk and fruits on the day. Fasting makes us alert and attentive during towards the supreme power of the universe and helps us develop intensity towards Him.
Our ancient scriptures signify the importance and benefits of fasting during these two days of the month in particular. You must be wondering why all the importance is given to 11th day and not 9th or 10th day. Well, there is a reason behind this.
We all know that the influence of the Sun and moon keeps changing over Earth with constantly changing positions of all three. On 11th day of each cycle, moon forms a trime wither with Earth or the Sun. The 11th day indicates a position of moon where it has more impact on liquids of our body. As long as our brain, heart and digestive system keep functioning properly, no disease can catch us.
The digestive power of our body weakens on this 11th day due to this particular position of moon. That is why fasting is done on this day. It is appreciated because it helps our digestive system to function well. A fast once in 15 days of the month cleans all the mess of your body.
Benefits of fasting on Ekadashi
Fasting twice a month on the dates of Ekadashi reduces the fat content of the body. This way you can control your inactiveness, laziness and sleep.
Along with fasting, you can spend more time on spiritual activities. It will help you achieve both internal and external purity.
- Ekadashi is dedicated to Hari, Lord Krishna. Fasting on this day shows you immense devotion and faith on the Lord. Fasting makes you minimize your body demands and gives you time to engage yourself in enchanting Hare Krishna mool mantra and performing poojas.
- It is said that one who keeps a fast regularly makes advancement is Krishna consciousness.
- It frees you from all the sins, sinful activities and it is a step ahead in your pious life.
- It is said that the one who observes the fast regularly is absolved from all his sons and gets place in Baikunth directly.
Foods Forbidden for fasting
- You are not allowed to eat food grains, beans and cereals on the auspicious day if you are fasting.
- If you use spices in your cooking, ignore using mustard seeds.
- Do not use powdered asafetida as it contains grains.
- Sesame seeds should be used on the day of sat-tila ekeadshi. Avoid using them on any other ekadashi.
- Make sure every food you use should be free from any kind of grains and should be untouched.
- A few ekadashi are nirjala. Water should not be consumed on those ekadashi. However, if you cannot stay without water, you can consume milk and light fruits.
Also Check: shradh pitru paksha 2023 start date and time
Ekadashi Calendar 2023
|Ekadashi Date and Day||Ekadashi Name|
|January 2nd, 2023, Monday||
Pausha Putrada Ekadashi
|January 18, 2023, Wednesday||
Shat tila Ekadashi
|February 1st, 2023, Wednesday||
|February 16, 2023, Thursday||
|March 3, 2023, Friday||Amalaki Ekadashi|
|March 18, 2023, Saturday||Papmochani Ekadashi|
|April 1, 2023, Saturday||Kamada Ekadashi|
|April 16, 2023, Sunday||Varuthini Ekadashi|
|May 1, 2023, Monday||Mohini Ekadashi|
May 15, 2023, Monday
|May 31, 2023, Wednesday||Pandava Nirjala Ekadashi|
|June 14, 2023, Wednesday||Yogini Ekadashi|
|June 29, 2023, Thursday||Sayana/Devshayani Ekadashi|
|July 13, 2023, Thursday||Kamika Ekadashi|
|July 29, 2023, Saturday||Shravana Putrada Ekadashi|
|August 12, 2023, Saturday||Parama Ekadashi|
|August 27, 2023, Sunday||Pavitropana Ekadashi|
|September 11, 2023, Monday||Annada Ekadashi|
|September 26, 2023, Tuesday||Vaishnava Parsva Ekadashi|
|October 10, 2023, Tuesday||Indira Ekadashi|
October 25, 2023, Wednesday
|November 9, 2023, Wednesday||Rama Ekadashi|
|November 23, 2023, Thursday||Dev utthana Ekadashi|
|December 9, 2023, Saturday||Utpanna Ekadashi|
|December 23, 2023, Saturday||Mokshada Ekadashi|
So, these are ISKCON Ekadashi Vrat Date list. Keep visiting Astrolaabh to get more updates on Astrology or Vedic astrology, keep visiting us.
Also, Read –