Ekadashi, as the name suggests, it is the 11th day of the lunar cycle. It occurs twice in the month, 11th day both from Amavasya and Poornima. If it is ekadashi of Amavasya, the moon will be 3/4th dark and simultaneously, if it is ekadashi of Poornima, the moon will be 3/4th visible.
Devotees observe fast on this day. They spend whole night performing pooja and doing meditation. Some do not take even a drop of water during the fast while some take milk and fruits on the day. Fasting makes us alert and attentive during towards the supreme power of the universe and helps us develop intensity towards Him.
Our ancient scriptures signify the importance and benefits of fasting during these two days of the month in particular. You must be wondering why all the importance is given to 11th day and not 9th or 10th day. Well, there is a reason behind this.
We all know that the influence of the Sun and moon keeps changing over Earth with constantly changing positions of all three. On 11th day of each cycle, moon forms a trime wither with Earth or the Sun. The 11th day indicates a position of moon where it has more impact on liquids of our body. As long as our brain, heart and digestive system keep functioning properly, no disease can catch us.
The digestive power of our body weakens on this 11th day due to this particular position of moon. That is why fasting is done on this day. It is appreciated because it helps our digestive system to function well. A fast once in 15 days of the month cleans all the mess of your body.
Benefits of fasting on Ekadashi
Fasting twice a month on the dates of Ekadashi reduces the fat content of the body. This way you can control your inactiveness, laziness and sleep.
Along with fasting, you can spend more time on spiritual activities. It will help you achieve both internal and external purity.
- Ekadashi is dedicated to Hari, Lord Krishna. Fasting on this day shows you immense devotion and faith on the Lord. Fasting makes you minimize your body demands and gives you time to engage yourself in enchanting Hare Krishna mool mantra and performing poojas.
- It is said that one who keeps a fast regularly makes advancement is Krishna consciousness.
- It frees you from all the sins, sinful activities and it is a step ahead in your pious life.
- It is said that the one who observes the fast regularly is absolved from all his sons and gets place in Baikunth directly.
Foods Forbidden for fasting
- You are not allowed to eat food grains, beans and cereals on the auspicious day if you are fasting.
- If you use spices in your cooking, ignore using mustard seeds.
- Do not use powdered asafetida as it contains grains.
- Sesame seeds should be used on the day of sat-tila ekeadshi. Avoid using them on any other ekadashi.
- Make sure every food you use should be free from any kind of grains and should be untouched.
- A few ekadashi are nirjala. Water should not be consumed on those ekadashi. However, if you cannot stay without water, you can consume milk and light fruits.
Ekadashi Calendar 2022
|Ekadashi Date and Day||Ekadashi Name|
|January 13, 2022, Thursday||
Pausha Putrada Ekadashi
|January 28, 2022, Friday||
|February 12, 2022, Saturday||
|February 26, 2022, Saturday||
|February 27, 2022, Sunday||Gauna Vijaya Ekadashi
Vaishnava Vijaya Ekadashi
|March 14, 2022, Monday||Amalaki Ekadashi|
|March 28, 2022, Monday||Papmochani Ekadashi|
|April 12, 2022, Tuesday||Kamada Ekadashi|
|April 26, 2022, Tuesday||Varuthini Ekadashi|
|May 12, 2022, Thursday||Mohini Ekadashi|
May 26, 2022, Thursday
|June 10, 2022, Friday||Pandava Nirjala Ekadashi|
|June 11, 2022, Saturday||Gauna Nirjala Ekadashi
Vaishnava Nirjala Ekadashi
|June 24, 2022, Friday||Yogini Ekadashi|
|July 10, 2022, Sunday||Devshayani Ekadashi|
|July 24, 2022, Sunday||Kamika Ekadashi|
|August 8, 2022, Monday||Shravana Putrada Ekadashi|
|August 22, 2022, Monday||Aja Ekadashi|
|August 23, 2022, Tuesday||Vaishnava Aja Ekadashi|
|September 6, 2022, Tuesday||Parsva Ekadashi|
|September 7, 2022, Wednesday||Vaishnava Parsva Ekadashi|
|September 21, 2022, Wednesday||Indira Ekadashi|
October 6, 2022, Thursday
|October 21, 2022, Friday||Rama Ekadashi|
|November 4, 2022, Friday||Devutthana Ekadashi|
|November 20, 2022, Sunday||Utpanna Ekadashi|
|December 3, 2022, Saturday||Mokshada Ekadashi|
|December 4, 2022, Sunday||Vaishnava Mokshada Ekadashi
|December 19, 2022, Monday||Saphala Ekadashi|
So, these are ISKON Ekadashi Vrat Date list. Keep visiting Astrolaabh to get more updates on Astrology or Vedic astrology, keep visiting us.